You will need an assessment initially in order to establish is shockwave therapy is suitable for you. The average number of sessions required is 3 – 5.
Shockwave therapy is a non-surgical clinically proven, highly effective way to treat long-term musculoskeletal issues. Aimed at reducing pain it enables restoration of normal function. Impulses of energy are delivered to the body through a hand-piece which targets the specific damaged tissues within an abnormal tendon. This causes microtrauma initiating the body’s healing process and stimulates blood vessels delivering nutrients to the area leading to cell regeneration and decreases pain.
Shockwave therapy is usually indicated for long-term problems that have not responded to conservative treatment such as physiotherapy. It may be that combining shockwave therapy with physiotherapy will give you the best possible outcome.
Shockwave therapy can be effective for a wide range of musculoskeletal conditions. Here are some examples of conditions that shockwave therapy has effectively treated and restored normal function:
- Plantar fasciitis
- Shoulder pain, e.g. calcific lesions of the rotator cuff and bony spurs
- Lateral epicondylitis (tennis elbow)
- Medial epicondylitis (golfer‘s elbow)
- Patellar tendonitis (jumper‘s knee)
- Tibial stress syndrome (shin pain)
- Achilles tendonitis
- Hip pain
- Heel pain, heel spurs
- Pregnancy or trying to conceive
- Over growth plates, not for under 18 year olds
- Over metal plates or pins
- Nerve or infection disorders
- Active infections
- Taking anticoagulants
- Steroid injection in the last 12 weeks
- History of Achilles tendon or plantar fascia ligament rupture
- Have been diagnosed with bone cancer or are being treated for active cancer, malignant tumours
Please note this list is not exhaustive on
Shockwave treatment is usually done once a week for 3-6 weeks, depending on the results. The treatment itself can cause mild discomfort, but it only lasts 4-5 minutes, and the intensity can be adjusted to keep it comfortable. The risks and benefits of treatment will be discussed with your physiotherapist, you will also be assessed prior to treatment to ensure it is right for you. If you have any test results/reports such as MRI scans please bring these with at your assessment.
Course of Shockwave treatments
3 x treatments
Sports massage with combined Shockwave therapy